Portland Aquatic Club - Ellertson Family Scholarship Fund
About the awards:
In 2008 Portland Aquatic Club established the Ellertson Family Scholarship Fund to assist families of deserving swimmers in cases of financial hardship. Applications are accepted in the fall and, funds permitting, in February before the long-course season. Scholarship grants are based on financial need, input from coaches, and demonstrated dedication to the team. Applicants must have at least six months experience in competitive swimming. Awardees must be registered members with accounts in good standing.
Grants are applied to monthly dues. They do not cover registration fees, meet fees, merchandise costs, or fundraising and volunteer obligations. Grants are reviewed quarterly based on attendance, coach input, and an account status of good standing. In the 2013/2014 season, applicants may request scholarship funding to cover up to 50% of their monthly dues
1. Print out, complete, and mail the application form by the postmark deadline indicated on the form.
2. Attach written documentation of financial hardship. Any one of the following examples would meet this requirement:
· eligibility confirmation from the public school system’s free or reduced lunch program
· paperwork showing documentation of job loss or low income
· proof of long-term illness or disability such as a doctor’s letter
After receiving the application materials, which will be kept strictly confidential, the scholarship committee will request a reference letter from the swimmer’s coach and, based on all collected information, will make recommendations to the PAC Board of Directors in the third week of October. Applicants will be notified promptly of the outcome. All scholarships awarded in the fall will be retroactive to September 1.
Please direct any questions you might have to Kristin Harquail, Scholarship Committee Chair, at Kristin Harquail. Application form